Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Adolescent Memorabilia from 1935

I had the pleasure of visiting my parents over the weekend. My parent's house has become a treasure trove of mostly invaluable items (and I do mean they do not have value unlike the other "invaluable" that means they are priceless and so expensive that you cannot put a price on them. I remember learning the meanings of "invaluable" and "priceless" as a kid and it totally blew my mind. Like, I specifically remember getting those words wrong on a vocabulary test in fourth grade and LEARNING AS A RESULT!!!). This weekend I thumbed through a dilapidated book entitled "Classmate Autographs". I eventually figured out that it was my grandmother's from 1935. Here are some examples of the things kids in high school said to each other back then (names have been reduced to initials to protect the identities of the 90-somethings who may be reading this):

When you are married and spanking six,
Remember me between the licks.
Forget to forget,
K.

I wish you luck and happiness through out the
year of 1935.
R. (my grandmother's future husband--not much of a creative writer, but he was pretty hot in the pictures I've seen so I guess she overlooked that. Or maybe he was ahead of his time because that's about as creative as people were in my yearbooks...)

When you are married and live by the sea,
and when your husband quits just look for me.
A. H. J. (pretty fresh--how does a husband quit, exactly?)

A lump of dust
A stick of wood
A kiss from you
would do me good.

The well is deep
The water is muddy
Your darling face
is all i study.
P.B.

In your garden spot of memories
Keep for me a tiny spot.
In the depths of your affection
Plant for me a forget-me-not.
H.

Excuse the writer
Blame the pen
Save the writer
Amen
B.

Long may you live
Happy may you tarry
Love who you please
But (for your sake) mind who you marry.
M. (This is my personal favorite. Well done, M.)

I also found a certificate that said my grandfather was a Lieutenant Colonel of the Aide-de-Camp, which is apparently something to do with the Governor's staff? I wiki'd it, but I still don't know what it means. It sounds extremely boring, though. Like, between my grandmother and DAR and my grandfather and the Freemasons, my grandparents were pretty swingin' in the social organization world which is what kept people entertained before the internets. Whenever I think of freemasons now, though, I always think of that song by Penal Colony and the words "freemasons of (enochian magick)". It's a good tune and very endearing to the memory of my grandfather. And they used to think that I was in a cult! So silly.

1 comment:

individually wrapped slices said...

"Excuse the writer
Blame the pen
Save the writer
Amen
B."

Love that one.